Klang : An Insight to Another Culture


Growing up in a multicultural society, I find it hard to admit that I know nothing about the culture of the other races in Malaysia apart from my own. A site visit assignment gave me that chance to explore one of the royal towns in the country.


One of the subjects for the Semester 3 was the Cross Cultural Interaction. As part of the course assessment,  we were assigned to conduct a site visit.
My class partner, Izani (Ee) and I were assigned a site visit survey on a different culture from ours (Malay culture). Hence, we chose to survey the Indian community culture in Klang, Selangor.



 It might sound cliche', but this site visit had opened my eyes to how little I know about the Indian culture.








One of the best ways to go sightseeing in a new place is through a tour. Luckily, the Selangor Tourism provides this service. It's called the Klang Royal Town tour and it's free of charge. The tour covers 13 landmarks around the quaint town. Our tour guide shared a bit about himself. Turns out that he is related to the current Sultan of Selangor. He was very friendly and knowledgeable about the history of Klang.



We also conducted our own research and interviewed several willing volunteers on their opinions and understanding of the Indian culture.







We thanked those who are willing to give their time to be interviewed.  I highly recommend on visiting this quaint yet interesting town. As it turns out, a gem is waiting to be discovered right at your doorstep.

Links : Klang Heritage Walk

Thank you to Izani for the photos. 

Comments

Popular Posts